Thursday, March 9, 2017

Social Networking Sites

In this discussion I will discuss the four main competitors in social networking, as probably everyone else will, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter.  I never thought of the difference their sites have between them until this post and looking at them now is kind of fascinating.  I started out with Facebook and suddenly realized that I hate their page.  Like many people I constantly look at Facebook, but these days I use it to look at funny clips and tag my friends in memes instead of actually reading people's posts and looking through their albums.  Although very familiar and at this point easy to use after so many years on Facebook it bothered me to see all the ads presented.  There were ads all along the right side, and ads on my feed.  Altogether it as just a mess of advertisements and posts from people my mothers age, along with some memes.  Instagram takes a very simple approach.  Their sites is very plain and solely involves pictures that were posted by what seems to be a much younger generation.  There are advertisements sometimes but they are very subtle compared to Facebook.  Snapchat's site prompts you to download the app since it cannot be viewed online so when I looked at my snapchat page again I loved how simple it was, and if I did not want to see a post that paid for my views I did not have to.  I am new to Twitter so I am still getting used to it but I feel like their page resembles Facebook.  Although I could not find random advertisements at first I did see tweets that I did not follow which can be great if you're looking to explore or intrusive if you're looking to do the opposite.  Altogether I favor Snapchats look and maybe even Instagram because they are not as intrusive as the competitors.

1 comment:

  1. Your observation of advertisement placement was really interesting. It's interesting to think about how social media sites have become the prime real estate for targeted ads over the last couple of years. It's hard to think of a platform that DOESN'T force the user to view advertisements these days; even Tinder has started doing it.

    ReplyDelete